In this week’s top stories: New Tesla Model 3 details and the first release candidate video, Chevy Bolt EV, a hybrid Ford F-150, BMW’s electric vehicle plans, Gigafactory 1 aerial shots and much more.
We kick things off this week with the latest Model 3 news including self-driving and Autopilot details as we get word from Elon Musk that the wheelbase allows for a battery pack up to 75 kWh. We also get a look at the release candidate Model 3 as Musk shares the first video. And we get confirmation that Tesla’s highly anticipated 8.1 update is coming March 28-29.
Chevy Bolt EV is already being discounted by $5,000+ as deliveries stall. BMW explains its electric vehicle plans in more detail. A plug-in hybrid Ford F-150 and all-electric commercial trucks are coming as Ford approves new eQVMs. And new aerial pictures show the latest progress at Tesla Gigafactory 1.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
- Analyst: Tesla Model 3 will give ‘superhuman’ safety to driver
- Model 3: supplier says it received an order for 3,000 km of ‘shielded aluminum cables’
- Tesla’s full list of new features enabled w/ software updates is a glimpse at the future
- Tesla Model 3: Autopilot is most popular option, 58% want a battery upgrade
- Tesla Model 3’s wheelbase allows for a battery pack up to 75 kWh, says Elon Musk
- Tesla Model 3’s UI is designed with self-driving in mind, no head-up display
- Tesla Model 3 will not be available with all-wheel-drive dual motors at launch, says Elon Musk
- Elon Musk now says Tesla’s highly anticipated 8.1 update is coming March 28-29
EV | Autonomous |
- Chevy Bolt EV is already being discounted by $5,000+ as deliveries stall
- Chevrolet dealership advertises the all-electric Bolt EV as having an ‘engine’ and ‘needing fuel’
- Startup announces plan for 150-seat battery-powered plane
- Watch a new self-driving car using a similar camera-based approach as Tesla
- BMW explains its electric vehicle plans in more details and it’s going in the right direction
- Zero Motorcycles powertrain now powers ‘world’s first electric, stand-up personal watercraft’
- A plug-in hybrid Ford F-150 and all-electric commercial trucks are coming as Ford approves new eQVMs
Solar | Energy |
- Tesla battery cell breakdown shows what is inside and difference with Panasonic’s regular cells
- Tesla Gigafactory 1: new aerial picture shows latest progress at the battery factory
This week’s top videos |
- Elon Musk releases video of the first Model 3 release candidate drive
- Watch a Tesla owner escape a crash thanks to his Model X’s instant torque and great reaction time
Subscribe to get all Electrek’s stories delivered to your inbox daily, or follow us on Twitter & Facebook for up-to-the-minute updates.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.